Fun and Games
Quite often, I hear tutors suggest that games have no place in the university or college classroom. Why not ?is my immediate response? Here a few reasons why (text from: ICT across the curriculum)
- Motivation - games can engage and motivate students and in doing so they are more likely to interact in topics covered
- Games can provide feedback to both the learner and the teacher – outcomes help students to identify their current levels of acheivement and staff can intervene, scaffold and adjust learning opportunities as neccesary in relation to the outcomes.
- For many students the nature of a game or quiz is less threatening than some other learning opportunities
- Can be used to review learning in the classroom through starters and plenaries
- Can be used as useful revision aids and through online sources can be used to support independent revision by students.
Who wants to be a millionaire
This Flash based game exemplifies how games and fun can be easily used in the classroom. Demo 'Who wants to be a millionaire'